I know you’ve never said this before, but I’m sure you’ve known someone who has exclaimed, “That kid makes me so mad!!” Anger is an emotion that all parents have experienced, yet parental anger that is expressed in the wrong way can be the most destructive emotional element in any home. Ouch. This week, the guys chat about putting a lid on parental anger.
Series 33 – Lifeway
Problem with parental anger:
- Things that we say and do that we regret are mostly done in anger
- Parental anger is the most destructive emotional element in the home
- Most anger is brought about by faulty thinking that is adrenaline induced.
- Albert Ellis ABC Model
- This is now we KNOW that nothing MAKES you mad.
- 90% of parental anger is sin. We sin, but don’t see God’s wrath
- We believe it’s justified. But it is never justified.
Solution to parental anger:
- Realize first response is your worst response
- Stop and separate
- Tone down tension
- Open YOUR heart to God
- Present Christ to your child
Excerpt from Toe to Toe with Your Teen (2nd Edition)
Dr. Jimmy Myers on Twitter: @docjimmymyers, Instagram: @jmyersfam, and Facebook: @docjimmymyers
Dr. Josh Myers on Twitter: @docjoshmyers, Instagram: @docjoshmyers, and Facebook: @docjoshmyers
Pairadocs Podcast on Twitter: @docspodcast, Instagram: @docspodcast, and Facebook: @docspodcast
How do give to the show: www.patreon.com/docspodcast
The Timothy Center: www.timothycenter.com